Marin Families at Risk: A closer look at problems & solutions
Part of CJE’s 2007 Judicial Forum Series
The Center for Judicial Excellence convened a Family Law Forum, titled “Marin Families at Risk: A closer look at problems and solutions” on November 14, 2007 from 7:00pm to 9:00pm at the Lark Theater in Larkspur, California.
The goals of the Forum were to:
- Educate the Marin community about the unique family law court system that currently exists.
- Inform participants about community resources to help them navigate the system.
- Solicit ideas about improvements that can be implemented in our courts.
The Family Law Forum was comprised of an overview of the family law court system (mediation, litigation & collaboration), an introduction to the resources available in Marin County, a Special Issues section in which unique family law and Marin-specific issues were identified and discussed, an analysis of domestic violence as it relates to family law, and an overview of family law on the national scene. A new documentary was shown, featuring personal stories of parents and children who have experienced challenges within the family law system, and interviews with prominent attorneys and experts in the field. A structured Question & Answer session concluded the forum.
- Dr. Angela Browne-Miller, Author, To Have and To Hurt: Recognizing and Changing, or Escaping, Patterns of Abuse in Intimate Relationships
- Robert Cleek esq., Family Law Attorney, Marin County
- Connie Valentine, President, California Protective Parents Association
- Barbara Kauffman esq., Family Law Attorney, Marin County
- Meera Fox esq., Executive Director, Child Abuse Solutions, Inc.
Moderator: Peter B. Collins, Radio Host
Supporters of this event included State Senator Carole Migden, State Assemblymember Mark Leno, State Assemblymember Fiona Ma, Marin County Human Rights Commissioner Kerry Peirson, Marin County Human Rights Commissioner Cesar Lagleva, and Marin County Human Rights Commissioner Maureen McManus.
Hosted by the Center for Judicial Excellence, this event was co-sponsored by the National Organization for Women, CA State Chapter, California Protective Parents Association, Marin Peace & Justice Coalition, ISOJI, Women Helping All People & Marin Gray Panthers.
Please click the links below to learn more about CJE’s Family Law Forum:
Family Law Forum Press Release – November 9, 2007